The Mighty Carrot: Don’t Waste It
#WHY WASTE FOOD WEDNESDAY
Carrots are a hearty vegetable with so many nutrients that it is impossible not to use every bit! Here are some tips to keep you storing and preparing the best possible way without waste.
Remove the tops of carrots if you buy them with the green leaves attached. Keep them in a plastic bag in the coolest part of your refrigerator for about two weeks. And a warning: keep carrots away from apples and potatoes—their gasses will make your carrots bitter.
Another interesting storage tip is that you can store carrots in empty, cleaned milk cartons. Seal it shut and they should last longer.
- Peel your carrots, slice them into rounded coins and toss them into a mixture of butter and honey. Make sure they are fully coated and then roast them in the oven for about 30 minutes at 350. Delicious hot or cold.
- Shred your carrots and put them in your salads, sprinkle them on top of sandwiches for an added crunchy bite.
- Mashed carrots can be eaten alone or blended with mashed potatoes. If that doesn’t sound good, then sautee some onions in butter and throw in the mashed mixture. Add ginger for a spicy taste. The onions add a whole new dimension.
- Shred your carrots and some beets and apples. Blend the altogether with a little mayo for an amazing salad experience.
- Blend up your carrots with apples and you have an incredible smoothie to get your day started!
Don’t Waste Carrots
Soup is nothing without carrots so if you have some lying around then add them to any broth you are making. Their sweetness adds a nutritional dimension to any type of soup. Plus pureed carrot soup is wonderful!
And of course, if all else fails, slice up the carrots into sticks and snack on them. Don’t like raw? Then steam them. The flavor of steamed carrots is exceptional!
40% of carrots are thrown into the trash—which means all the water that went into growing them is also thrown out. Try new ways of preparing these nutritious vegetables. Your body will be happy and so will the earth!
If you have any interesting tips for preparing food to avoid waste, send them to us at email@example.com