Budget Bite Monday Recipe
Budget Bite Monday, an Inexpensive Meal for the Whole Family.
Paychecks do not stretch as far as they once did, and grocery and produce prices only seem to be on a steady rise. For this series, Food Finders will share an easy, low budget meal every Monday, that will not only help you cut down on costs, but also keep your family fed with delicious, healthy foods.
Chicken and Broccoli with Dill Sauce
Chicken and broccoli with dill sauce. Taste of Home. (2022, April 28). Retrieved June 27, 2022, from https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/chicken-and-broccoli-with-dill-sauce/
For this #budgetbitemonday we’re sharing a #mealunder10. Juicy chicken and fresh broccoli, all topped with a perfectly bright dill sauce. This appetizing recipe is an inexpensive, savory dish for the whole family!
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, 6 ounces each)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh dill
- 1 cup 2 % milk
- Sprinkle chicken with garlic salt and pepper. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat; brown chicken on both sides. Remove from the pan.
- Add broccoli and broth to the same skillet; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until broccoli is just tender, 3-5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, remove broccoli from the pan, reserving broth. Keep broccoli warm.
- In a small bowl, mix flour, dill and milk until smooth; stir into broth in a pan. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir until thickened, 1-2 minutes. Add chicken; cook, covered, over medium heat until a thermometer inserted in chicken reads 165°, 10-12 minutes. Serve with broccoli.
- If you’re buying whole broccoli stalks, don’t throw out the stems! Peel away the tough outer portion and chop the center to use in soups and stir-fries or add to salads and slaws.
- Fresh sugar snap peas would also work well in this recipe; adjust the cooking time as needed.
- Add sliced mushrooms and carrots on top for extra veggies and serve with a side of couscous or rice.
If you have a recipe you would like to share with us for #budgetbitemonday, please email email@example.com.
If you would like to make an impact on reducing food waste and hunger help us grow our food rescue operations: Donate