Thick, hearty and creamy Vegan Potato Soup. It’s really simple to make and very budget-friendly. You can enjoy it just as it is, or get crazy with toppings. I like to finish mine off with some crumbled tempeh bacon, crispy roasted potato chunks & a sprinkle of parsley for a pop of color!
Who’s up for a bowl of the best comforting, creamy, vegan potato soup?
If so you are in the right place! Soothing, Comforting, Full of veggies, Low in fat, and low budget, this soup is the perfect meal for any group!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter , or olive oil, or to make oil-free omit and use a few tablespoons of water for sautéing instead
- 2 medium onions , chopped finely
- 2 ribs celery , diced
- 2 large carrots , diced
- 4 cloves garlic , chopped finely
- 2 teaspoons salt , plus more to taste
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper , plus more to taste
- 4 tablespoons all purpose flour , or gluten-free all purpose flour
- 2 cups / 480 mls non dairy milk , cashew milk or soy milk are my milks of choice for savory recipes but any other unsweetened creamy non-dairy milk will work too
- 2½ – 3 cups / 600 – 720 mls flavourful vegetable broth/stock , divided
- 5 medium / about 700 g potatoes , cut into ½ inch cubes
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg , (optional)
- 1 bay leaf
- To a large saucepan, add the vegan butter/oil and warm over a medium heat before adding the onions, celery and carrots. Cook, stirring constantly, until the onions are just starting to get a little color, then add the garlic and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add the salt and pepper, then the flour to the pan and stir it all around for about a minute to cook the raw flour taste out, then slowly add the soy milk, stirring as you go to work out any lumps. Then add the vegetable broth (reserving about ½ a cup / 120 mls) , chopped potatoes, nutmeg and the bay leaf.
- Stir really well then let it simmer for about 30 minutes, or until the potatoes are soft and just starting to break down. Add all of, or some of, the reserved ½ a cup / 120 mls of broth if you prefer a thinner consistency. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Serve as it is, or with toppings. See the post above for ideas.
It is normal for the soup to thicken as it cools. Soup reheats really well. Thin with more broth or water if it becomes a little thick.
Serving: 1of 6 servings
Carbohydrates: 13gProtein: 4gFat: 5gSaturated Fat: 1gSodium: 1264mgPotassium: 269mgFiber: 2gSugar: 4gVitamin A: 4627IUVitamin C: 5mgCalcium: 125mgIron: 1mg
If you have a recipe you would like to share with us for #meatlessmondays, please email email@example.com.
If you would like to make an impact on reducing food waste and hunger help us grow our food rescue operations: Donate#meatlessmonday #foodfindersinc #FoodRescue #reducehunger #improvenutrition #helpfoodinsecurecommunities #HelpEndHunger #Volunteer #Charity #fightinghunger #rescuingfood #Donate #makeanimpact