Vegan French Toast
How to make the BEST Vegan French Toast! So easy to make in just 10 minutes, using everyday ingredients. You won’t miss the eggs at all in this delicious weekend morning breakfast. A secret ingredient makes these French toast incredibly crisp, thick and perfect!
How Can You Possibly Make French Toast Without Eggs?
The secret ingredient in this vegan French toast recipe is so common it’s probably in the pantry right now: Cornstarch. It’s perfect for getting that crisp exterior, and works like a charm as the bread cooks in the pan.
Without eggs, your batter for vegan French toast includes these ingredients: Soy milk (or any other non-dairy milk), cornstarch, ground flaxseeds (just a teaspoon, to help thicken the batter), 1/2 teaspoon baking powder, maple syrup, cinnamon and vanilla.
Prep: 5 mins
Cook: 5 mins
Total: 10 mins
Servings: 3 people
- 1 cup unsweetened soy milk (or other non-dairy milk)
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon ground flaxseeds
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 6-8 slices thick sliced quality bread, such as ciabatta or French
- 2-3 tablespoons vegan butter or coconut oil for frying
- For serving: maple syrup, powdered sugar, or fresh fruit
- In a shallow bowl, wide enough to hold a piece of bread, whisk together the soy milk, cornstarch, ground flaxseeds, baking powder, cinnamon, maple syrup and vanilla.
- Add a little bit of vegan butter/coconut oil to a pan over medium-high heat and melt. Whisk the batter again right before dipping bread, as the cornstarch will settle to the bottom of the bowl.
- Dip each side of the bread in the batter and let soak for about 10 seconds, then add the bread to the pan and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side, until golden brown. Add more vegan butter/oil to the pan as needed in between pieces of bread.
- Serve with maple syrup, powdered sugar and fresh fruit, if desired.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 404kcal | Carbohydrates: 69g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 648mg | Potassium: 165mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 524IU | Calcium: 141mg | Iron: 1mg
Nora. (2021, August 9). Vegan French toast. Nora Cooks. Retrieved November 8, 2022.