Roasted Sweet Potato Salad with Orange Vinaigrette
Why Meatless Monday?
- Meatless Monday is of utmost importance, especially in the United States, as we consume much more animal products than the rest of the world.
- The meat industry uses vast amounts of our finite fossil fuels and water and lots of grain to feed livestock, which is extremely inefficient. Why not use those resources to feed people more directly?
- About 1,850 gallons of water is needed to produce a singular pound of beef, comparable to only 39 gallons of water per pound of vegetables. A vegetarian diet alone could dramatically reduce water consumption by 58% per person!
- Meat production also is a major contributor to greenhouse gas emissions, which has proven to correlate to the climate change crisis.
- Some benefits of eating plant-based once a week include:
- Save 133 gallons of water with each meatless meal!
- Reduce your carbon footprint by 8 pounds each Meatless Monday you participate in
- If you commit to participating in Meatless Monday every Monday, that is equivalent to skipping one serving of beef for a year, would save the same amount of emissions as driving 348 miles in a car.
“This salad has all of our favorite elements–crunchy bites, creamy goat cheese, fresh greens, and the rich sweetness of roasted sweet potato, all with a tangy citrus dressing.”
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
- 5 ounces Baby Spinach, about 3 cups
- 5 ounces Baby Arugula, about 3 cups
- 4 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
- 1 apple, preferably sweet, cut into matchsticks
- 3 cups Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- 1½ cups Candied Pecans
- ¾ cup Orange Vinaigrette
- In a large serving bowl, toss the spinach, arugula, ¾ of the goat cheese, ¾ of the apple, 2 cups roasted sweet potato, and 1 cup candied pecans with ¾ of the orange vinaigrette until everything is coated.
- Top the salad with the remaining goat cheese, apples, sweet potatoes, and pecans. Drizzle with the remaining dressing and serve immediately.
- Calories 386
- Protein 6g
- Carbohydrates 33g
- Total Fat 27g
- Dietary Fiber 5g
- Cholesterol 0mg
- Sodium 251mg
- Total Sugars 17g
Roasted sweet potato salad with Orange Vinaigrette. The Modern Proper. (n.d.). Retrieved November 10, 2022.
If you have a recipe you would like to share with us for #meatlessmondays, please email email@example.com.
If you would like to make an impact on reducing food waste and hunger help us grow our food rescue operations: Donate
#meatlessmonday #foodfindersinc #hunger #hunger #FoodRescue #reducehunger #improvenutrition #helpfoodinsecurecommunities #HelpEndHunger #Volunteer #Charity #fightinghunger #rescuingfood #Donate #makeanimpact