Help to rescue Food in Southern California and become a part of our growing volunteer community!
Volunteers Needed for Our Holiday Food Drives
Non Profit Food Rescue
with Our Volunteers Help
Food Finders rescued over 16 million pounds of food in 2021.
99% of that rescued food gets delivered immediately from the food donor location to one of our recipient agencies who prepares and distributes it within 24 hours to those in need.
Since we only have a small staff to cover four counties in Southern California (Los Angeles, Orange, Riverside, and San Bernardino Counties) it is only through the efforts, commitment and passion of our volunteers that we are able to accomplish our mission.
Why Volunteer At Food Finders?
Volunteering is an American tradition that has made immeasurable contributions to communities, organizations, and individuals.
Your contribution of time and energy will help us continue to rescue edible foods–distributing them into the community to fight hunger and keeping them out of landfills to protect the magnificent beauty of our planet for future generations. As a volunteer, you will go home with a sense of pride at having participated in something worthwhile.
As part of Southern California’s magnificent beauty, Food Finders is deeply embedded in four counties: Riverside, San Bernardino, Orange, and Los Angeles. You will join us in our mission to preserve the natural beauty around us and help take care of the people in our community by helping to nourish the families who have a need.
Individuals, families, businesses, and organized groups are welcome to volunteer. Many opportunities are available for persons who are ready and able to devote their time to the process of food rescue–with options for short-term and long-term commitments. Volunteering with Food Finders can be challenging and rewarding–we want you to make this a cherished part of your life.
What are the benefits of being a volunteer?
- You get to meet new people with the same interests.
- You get to learn about food waste and its impacts on our environment and understand the benefits of repurposing good food into meals delivered to the food insecure communities surrounding us all.
- We offer free training and support for any aspect of the work we do and the process of picking up and delivering rescued food.
- Best of all, you get to be outside and interact and learn about the many non-profits in our community devoted to all of us in Southern California.
- Food Finder’s volunteers are not direct employees, but we ask that you fill in a simple application and get the guidance and training needed for the opportunities you wish to be included. Although volunteers contribute their services without pay, they may deduct out-of-pocket expenses on income tax returns within limits set by tax laws. Please consult a tax representative to determine if you can deduct car mileage expenses incurred from volunteer work. Learn more
A few volunteer opportunity examples are:
Food Pack & Sorts
Food 4 Kids Program bag packing and delivering
Office front desk or other admin roles
Volunteer route buddy
You can be a part of this important work! Follow the checklist on how to become a Food Rescue Hero.
If you have questions about volunteering, contact Carly Bragg firstname.lastname@example.org or call (562) 283-1400 x 113
After Hours Call or Text: (562) 233 – 3247
How To Become A Food Finders Volunteer
Step 01: Fill in the Volunteer Application
Step 02: Our Volunteer Coordinator will contact you and get you started.
Step 03: You will download the Food Finders App
Step 04: You will choose the routes and schedule or help with a project
Step 05: Now you are a food rescue hero!!
MAKING AND IMPACT WITH VOLUNTEERING
Girl Scout Troop 2863 came to Food Finders to make an impact and take action regarding hunger in their community, and they learned that preventing food waste not only helped to feed people, it also helped to save the climate!
They came to the Food Finder’s warehouse to help us pack up Food 4 Kids bags. These bags would be delivered to 22 schools, providing weekend meals.
What Goes Into the Food 4 Kids Bags?
~ The bags contain breakfast goods, canned meat, fruit, vegetables, dry goods, and snacks.
~ Each bag has enough food for two breakfasts, two lunches, and three dinners.
~ The bag also includes a nutritional guide and nearby food pantries Food Finders partners with.
~ Enough food for over 8300 Meals!
Once the school year began, they went into their neighborhood to collect food for the new school year Food 4 Kids bags. They collected bags of food and $200 in donations! (see their journey video below)
What is Troop 2863 Impact?
Created 2,980 Meals
Diverted 934 Pounds of c02 emissions
Saved 78,432 gallons of water
Brought Two New Long Beach Schools into the Food 4 Kids Program